I have finally cooked my dream recipe of baked squash stuffed with rice that is sweetened with chestnut honey and roses.
Chestnut honey has a deep, complex flavor. The dry roses infuse the rice with an exotic scent from the East.
Squash Filled With Fragrant Rice
- 4 squashes, cut in half.
- 2 cups of Basmati rice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chestnut honey
- 1 tablespoon dried edible roses
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Cook the rice in boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
- Drain the rice, and place in a large bowl.
- Mix in the butter, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, cardamom, chestnut honey, and dry roses.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Arrange the squash halves in a heavy pot. Stuff each half with the rice mixture.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the pot. Bring the broth to a boil.
- Cover the pot tightly, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- To serve, garnish each stuffed squash with a dry rose.