We have been having a tough time in Israel these past weeks. Sirens have had us rushing to shelters, and the country is in turmoil.
Let’s face it, when we are stressed out, food is a great comfort. When we are talking comfort food, how can chocolate not immediately come to mind?
Chocolate brownies are a great way to deliver the king of all sweets. I have been through many brownie recipes. Some I like because they are very quick to make, others, because they are just decadent and over the top. Recently, I found a recipe that I think has to be the Holy Grail of brownie recipes. It is everything a real classic brownie should be. It uses lots of chocolate and then a little more, and the result is one of the most chocolaty, lush, rich brownies you will ever eat.
So for times like these, as well as for times that are less stressful but just call for a good brownie, here is my recipe for Lush Chocolate Brownies.
Lush Chocolate Brownies
- 275 g (10 oz) dark chocolate
- 225 g (8 oz) butter or margarine
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (225 g/8 oz) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 115 g (4 oz) or just under 1 cup self raising flour
- 115 g (4 oz) chocolate chips (dark or white)
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Melt the chocolate and butter together over low heat till smooth. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla, and then stir in the melted chocolate.
- Fold in the flour, chocolate chips and pecans.
- Line a 30×20 cm (12×8 in) baking tin with baking paper, and spray with cooking spray. Pour the mixture in and bake for 35-40 minutes. Do not over-bake if you want a gooey brownie.
- Leave to cool and then cut into squares.
Makes 12 large brownies.