— by Challah Maidel
Sweet or savory, spreads are very addictive. Put a bowl of crackers and a spread in front of me and they both will be devoured within minutes.
I never cared for store-bought chocolate spreads. Overall, I find them to be too sugary for my liking. Nutella happens to be on the top of my favorite spreads, because the sweetness is not as overpowering.
The lack of sugar, minuscule amount of oil, and natural ingredients are what set this homemade chocolate spread apart from most chocolate spreads. This chocolate spread takes minutes to make and can be used as a chocolate frosting or icing.
Adjust the measurements in the following ingredients depending on the consistency you like. You can even add a nut spread to the ingredients if you like.
Recipe after the jump.
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, or trans-fat free margarine
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of agave syrup or date honey
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Melt the coconut oil or margarine, either in the microwave or in a warm oven.
- Add agave syrup and vanilla extract and stir.
- Add cocoa powder. Add a bit of water if spread is too thick.
Yields about 1 cup.
Challah Maidel is a blog about healthy kosher eating.