Nothing feels more nurturing on a cold winter day than a pot of stew bubbling over the stove. Chicken and root vegetables are inexpensive ingredients that can be combined to make a satisfying meal for a large crowd.
Full recipe after the jump.
Chicken and Root Vegetable Stew
- 4 lbs of chicken drumsticks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 4 cups of any combination of potatoes, parsley root, carrots, beets, parsnip, rutabaga, turnips, or fennel, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- black pepper
- 1 dry bay leaf
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pot.
- Brown the chicken drumsticks, then set aside.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the pot.
- Saute the onion and leeks over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
- Add the root vegetables.
- Saute them with the onion for a few minutes.
- Add the wine.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the seared drumsticks.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add the dry bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer.
- Cook the stew for 60 minutes.
Serve with warm, crusty bread.