What should you serve the non-meat eaters in your circle for the Fourth of July barbecue? This year, surprise them with a delicious, satisfying meal of marinated vegetables and grilled cheese skewers.
Sheep’s milk cheese is good for grilling. It can withstand very high heat without melting. When you grill it, it develops a delicious golden crust and a firm salty texture. You can mix your choice of vegetables such as cherry tomatoes, squash, eggplant, pepper, onion, and mushrooms in a marinade to infuse them with flavor. Below is a recipe for a homemade marinade from Israel that will keep the inside of your vegetables moist when you grill them.
More after the jump.
Marinade Recipe For Vegetable-Cheese Skewers
- 1-cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 limes, juiced
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- Whisk all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix in the desired vegetables with the marinade.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Soak some bamboo skewers in water.
- Dice your sheep’s milk cheese. Trader Joe’s sells a wonderful sheep’s milk feta from Israel called Pastures Of Eden Israeli Feta Cheese. This cheese works really well in this recipe. You may also order Israeli specialty cheeses online.
- Thread the bamboo skewers with the marinated vegetables and cubed cheese.
- Grill over low-medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
Serve with rice pilaf and a crisp, green salad. This repast is vegetarian and gluten-free.