How can you make something for Thanksgiving dinner in a hurry? Many people dread having to cook all the traditional dishes. They lack the time and expertise to roast the perfect whole turkey. One dish that combines many of the traditional fall flavors associated with Thanksgiving is the savory chicken pumpkin pot pie.
This delicious pie can be prepared using convenience and canned goods from the supermarket. It is a very versatile recipe, and you may use any fresh or frozen vegetables at hand to enhance it. If you prefer, you may use a store-bought roasted turkey in the recipe instead of the chicken.
Chicken Pumpkin Pie
- 1 roasted chicken, cut up
- 1 can of plain pumpkin puree
- 1 onion, cubed
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/2 cups fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 3 tbsp. chicken broth
- 2 frozen pie crusts or individual tart shells
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot.
- Brown the onion over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic.
- Mix in the flour, and then add the broth.
- Stir until you have a smooth sauce.
- Place the chicken, pumpkin, parsley, and sage in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the contents of the bowl into the sauce.
- Pour the pumpkin-chicken mixture into the pie crust or tart shells.
- Top the pie crust or tart with the second pie crust or flattened tart shell, pinching the edges shut.
- Cut a few slits in the top crust to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake for 45 minutes for a large pie, around 15 minutes for individual tarts.