By Rabbi Albert Gabbai
Limmud Philly 2012, Friday April 27 through Sunday, April 29! PhillyLimmud is a widely acclaimed festival of Jewish learning and culture where 70 amazing presentations are scheduled this year.
Be sure to stop by the Philadelphia Jewish Voice table in the Hall of Community Organizations to express your Jewish media needs and views to members of our editorial team, and to receive a free Philadelphia Jewish Voice bumper sticker. You will also have the opportunity to buy autographed copies of Rabbi Milgram’s new book Mitzvah Stories: Seeds for Inspiration and Learning, and just-released decks to Mitzvah Cards, in support of LimmudPhilly and the Philadelphia Jewish Voice.
- A cooking demonstration by a James Beard Award-winning chef who will talk about Jewish food around the world
- A talk on the future of democracy in Israel by a past Deputy Speaker of the Knesset
- A presentation on the Arab Spring by a media maven and co-author with Dennis Ross of a book on America and the Middle East
More after the jump.
- A play about the history and absurdity of prejudice and the power of diversity performed by two very funny guys, one Jewish and one black
- A discussion about the role of Jews in the 2012 presidential election led by the former editor of the Forward and the Jewish Exponent
- A tap dance lesson set to Jewish themes taught by an artist who trained with Savion Glover and performed with Matisyahu
- A screening of testimonies from the survivors of Rwanda presented by an Emmy Award-winning producer who trained under Ken Burns
- An opportunity to hear and sing the new Jewish “soul” music with a local cantor who lived in both Austin, Texas, and Israel
It will all begin on Friday evening with Shabbat dinner and services. Havdalah begins at 8:30 Saturday evening, followed by a concert with the always delightful Maccabeats. There will be multiple non-stop, simultaneous sessions, so you will have to make some tough choices.
Visit the LimmudPhilly website for further information and to register.
We look forward to learning with you!