A Community Holds Candlelight Vigil in Face of Hate-Based Activity

Candlelight vigil at Ambler Church of the Brethren. Photo credit: Andrea Cantor

“Hate has no home here,” Chair of the Montgomery County Board of Commissioners, Dr. Valerie Arkoosh, said to a room of around 300, during an interfaith candlelight vigil in response to recent anti-Semitic and racist attacks.

[Read more…]

Young Generation Displays Next Century Entrepreneurship

By Laurel Fairworth

Judgement Day is coming June 5, 2017, for a group of local students. A trio of well known experts will decide which of the two dozen students involved in the Eitanim leadership building program, a national program with 17 groups across the US, has created a unique way to capture the past while looking ahead to the future of Israel. The Israeli American Council sponsored program is especially timely now in light of recent anti-Israeli sentiment. The judges have all demonstrated they have the right stuff, excelling in various businesses. Ami Miron, who was very successful in the public sector, says he is looking for innovation and the wow factor. “Technology is the tool to create bridges and connect the Israeli and Jewish communities. That is what I am looking for in these student projects,” explained Miron.

Ninth through twelfth graders at Barrack Hebrew Academy and various high schools in the Greater Philadelphia area were challenged during this seven month project to think outside the box. They were asked to innovate with the hope they would find a deeper connection with the Holy Land. Since September, the kids have been putting long hours into their inventions. Liat Dorani says she has been surprised about what she discovered. “Eitanim has been an amazing way for me to understand people I normally think I don’t have any similarities with. I got to learn there that these teenagers are the same as me, living and breathing pride in their Judaism and their pride in the state of Israel,” said Dorani. Fifty percent of the students are Israeli-Americans the other half are Jewish-Americans.

Tasked with developing unique ways to showcase modern Israel while honoring our collective past the teens benefited from the advice and guidance of mentors such as Shai Shermister. He rose to prominence at SAP and was in turn surprised about what he got back from the experience. He is looking forward to seeing the students’ finished products.

Students say they have developed a deep appreciation for those who preceded them and all things Israeli, and an unexpected friendship with each other. The idea for this exercise was that it would hone skills and help the group excel when they go to college.

The public is invited to view and try out the students’ creations on June 5, 2017, at Main Line Reform Temple, 410 Montgomery Avenue Wynnewood, PA 19096.

Please RSVP to sharonad@israeliamerican.org

Prof. Saul Wachs Retiring After 42 Years at Gratz College

Dr. Saul Wachs, the Rosaline B. Feinstein Professor of Education and Liturgy, is retiring at the age of 85, after 42 years of teaching at Gratz College. Described as a legend within the field of Jewish education, Dr. Wachs will be honored with a tribute at the Gratz annual gala, an honorary doctorate at commencement and a scholarship prize created in his name. He has also been granted emeritus status by the Gratz College Board of Governors.

Dr. Saul Wachs

Dr. Saul Wachs

[Read more…]

Archbishop Sends Passover Greetings

Archbishop Chaput.

Archbishop Chaput.

Dear Friends,

Now that the annual observance of Passover is drawing near, I take this opportunity to send greetings to the Jewish community in the Philadelphia area. Both on my own, and in union with the clergy and laity of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, I offer my prayerful best wishes on this holy occasion.

We live in a time when global issues like war and persecution have resulted in many newcomers in our midst.  They are often made to feel very alienated.  The experience of the people of the Exodus has something very timely for us to learn.  They were urged to be just and kind to the stranger. We must apply this teaching to our day with greater devotion than ever. [Read more…]

The Antidote to Idol Worship

Photo Credit to the Office of Rabbi Sacks.

Photo Credit to the Office of Rabbi Sacks.

Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks recently returned for another visit to Kohelet Yeshiva, the Modern Orthodox high school in Merion Station, for Shabbat services, and gave a drasha (sermon) entitled “The Idols in Our Lives: Contemporary Echoes of the Golden Calf.” The legendary British rabbi served in London for over 20 years as the former chief rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth. He has received numerous awards and honors — including the prestigious Templeton Prize — and has written more than 30 books. [Read more…]

There Is No Such Thing as Sanctuary

As of October 2015, sanctuary status was claimed by 326 counties, 32 cities and four states, according to Philippe Weisz, managing attorney of HIAS Pennsylvania. Despite these numbers, Weisz explained that there is actually no such legal entity as “sanctuary,” since the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) operates freely. Weisz spoke during the inaugural session of HIAS Pennsylvania’s education series Welcoming the Stranger: Considering Immigration and Refugee Issues from a Jewish Perspective. The series provides background into American law and policy on these issues, as well as teachings on Jewish values. [Read more…]

Learning From the Past to Change the Future

By Laurel Fairworth

16107464_1852348398343930_3795405131184417547_oIn light of recent developments it is more important than ever to remind people about what can happen when anti-Semitism is left unchecked. Recently, cemetery stones have been overturned, bomb threats made against synagogues and we have seen a dramatic rise in hate crimes against Jews. To combat that a new pilot program called Eitanim (which means the strong or steadfast ones), is encouraging teenagers to use technology in a novel way to share what happened in the past to deepen connection to Israel in the future. [Read more…]

Stand Against Hate Rally

Stand Against Hate Rally. Photo: Philly.com.

Stand Against Hate Rally. Photo: Philly.com.

On Thursday, March 2, Independence Mall in Philadelphia was filled with supporters of the “Stand Against Hate” rally.

The speakers included Governor Tom Wolf, Mayor Jim Kenney, State Attorney General Josh Shapiro, Rabbi Avraham Shmidman of Lower Merion Synagogue, and Rabbi David Strauss of Main Line Reform.

Also speaking were Nancy Baron Baer of the ADL and members of the inter-faith community. [Read more…]