How can you steal someone’s heart? One effective way is to cook a dish that transports them back to a happy childhood memory. For many people that I grew up with in Israel, the treat that accomplishes this is called “Milky.” “Milky” is a chocolate pudding snack topped with whipped cream. It is manufactured by the Strauss Group near Tel Aviv. While many of us still love this childhood nosh exactly the way it is, it can be fun to prepare our own grownup homemade version of it.
Preparing a dessert like “Milky” is not very difficult. You begin with a base of chocolate pudding made from scratch. Give it an adult touch by adding any combination of whisky, rum, chocolate liqueur, or coffee liqueur to it. Then, you may whip your own heavy cream to garnish the pudding. A final elegant touch of chocolate shavings turns a childhood treat into a refined adult extravagance.
Homemade Chocolate Pudding
- 5 squares quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 6 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup liquor
- Mix the cornstarch, sugar, and cocoa in a pot.
- Add the milk, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pot from the flame when the pudding has thickened.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Pour the pudding into a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator.
- Mix the chocolate pudding with 1 cup of the liquor of your choice. You may combine several types of liquor.
- Cover with plastic wrap and return to the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the whipped cream.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Combine the heavy cream and sugar together in a bowl.
- Whisk until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- Spoon some chocolate pudding into a small bowl.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings.