The seudat mafseket, or meal of cessation, is the meal we eat before the onset of the Yom Kippur fast. A good strategy for success is to drink lots of water, and eat a dinner that includes lean proteins and whole grains. The recipes in this article provide for a complete seudat mafseket, from main course to side dish to dessert.
The versatile recipe below for the main course works equally well for chicken, fish or lentils. Please use the salt judiciously — you don’t want to get thirsty right after dinner.
Baked Chicken, Fish or Lentils With Vegetables
- Cut-up chicken, fish fillets or 1 cup lentils.
- Your choice of chopped carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, onions, broccoli, asparagus, bell peppers, green onions, mushrooms, etc.
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400 ℉.
- Place the vegetables at the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Arrange the chicken or fish on top of the vegetables, or mix in the lentils.
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper and garlic over the ingredients.
- Pour the water into the casserole dish.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 – 45 minutes.
Accompany the casserole with a side of whole grains, like the one described in the recipe below. The combination of whole grains and protein will help you feel satiated for much longer.
Whole Grain Pilaf
- 1 cup blend of brown rice, whole oats, barley, buckwheat groats and wheat berries.
- 2 cups vegetal broth
- Boil the vegetal broth.
- Add the whole grain mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 45 minutes.
End your meal with this delicious fall fruit crisp.
Whole Grain Fall Fruit Crisp
- 2 tart baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉.
- Mix all the ingredients for the topping in a bowl, and set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients of the filling, and pour into a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit mixture.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.