Law Enforcement and Public Safety Agencies announce the Security Restrictions and Joint Transportation Plan for the 2016 Democratic National Convention (DNC) in Philadelphia, PA. Events and activities related to the DNC, a designated National Special Security Event by the Department of Homeland Security, will take place from Monday, July 25 to Thursday, July 28.
Security and transportation plans have been developed by a partnership of local, state and federal law enforcement and public safety agencies outlined above. Every effort has been made to minimize the impact of these safety measures on the public. This plan provides the general outlines for road closures, vehicular restricted zones, flight restricted zones and maritime restrictions. Additional information is available online for residents of Philadelphia and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, as well as for charter operators, through the websites and social media accounts listed at the end of this plan. Additions to this plan may be made prior to the start of events and will be updated on these accounts and associated websites. Specific questions regarding this transportation plan should be directed to the participating agencies as identified.
A map containing street closures for the 2016 Democratic National Convention is now available on the U.S. Secret Service website.
Only individuals with credentials/tickets will be allowed access to the Democratic National Convention at the Wells Fargo Center. Those individuals will be subject to a thorough security screening before entering and should allow additional time for these security screenings.
General Prohibited Items
As a security precaution, the following items will be prohibited from entry into the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia:
- Animals other than service/guide dogs
- Bags exceeding size restriction 18″ x 13″ x 7″
- Drones and other unmanned aircraft systems
- Glass, thermal, or metal containers
- Laser pointers
- Mace/Pepper spray
- Selfie sticks
- Supports for signs and placards
- Toy guns
- Weapons of any kind
- Any other items determined to be potential safety hazards
Surrendered items will not be returned.
Road Closures and Parking Restrictions
Road closures and parking restrictions will be necessary during the 2016 Democratic National Convention. The public’s cooperation and patience in abiding by these restrictions is appreciated. The transportation plan below provides the general outlines for road closures and vehicular and restricted zones. Additional information is available online as indicated below via partnering agency websites. Additions and changes to this plan may be made prior to the start of the event and will be updated on agency websites. Specific questions regarding this transportation plan should be directed to the participating agency partners as identified above. Motorists traveling in the area of this event may experience delays and should consider alternative routes, if possible. The U.S. Secret Service is working closely with our state, local and federal law enforcement partners in planning for multiple motorcade movements, street closures and security zones for the 2016 DNC. Although we do not control dates and times of events, we always strive to limit the impact on pedestrian and motor vehicle traffic by making street and highway closures as brief as possible. Despite our best efforts, there are occasions where necessary security measures cause inconveniences to the public. When these situations occur, we do our utmost to make them the shortest duration possible. The Philadelphia Police Department, Pennsylvania State Police and PennDOT would like to remind motorists to pay full attention whenever operating any motor vehicle and to be mindful of heavy pedestrian traffic that may be associated with the events around the Wells Fargo Center and the Sports Complex. These street closings are subject to change without notice based upon unanticipated events and prevailing conditions. Fencing, other physical barriers and uniformed law enforcement officers will also be utilized to enforce vehicle restricted zones and road closures. A map of street closures for the 2016 DNC and the restricted areas in and around the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia is available at the Secret Service website.
Beginning no later than 12:00 P.M. on Saturday, July 23, until late evening on Friday, July 29, the following permanent street closures will be in effect:
- North and south bound lanes of S. Broad Street between Packer Avenue and the Navy Yard/Terminal Avenue
- Pattison Avenue from S. 7th Street to the eastern most entrance to FDR Park
- Terminal Avenue from S. Broad Street to S. 11th Street. 11th Street from Hartranft Street to Terminal Avenue
Beginning no later than 12:00 P.M. on Saturday, July 23, until late evening on Friday, July 29, the following street closures will be in effect and access will be limited to authorized vehicles ONLY. Access will be controlled by the Philadelphia Police Department:
- Pattison Avenue from S. 20th Street to the eastern most entrance to FDR Park
- Hartranft Street from S. Broad Street to S. Darien Street. Darien Street from Packer Avenue to Lurie Way. 10th Street south of Packer Avenue
Beginning daily, from Monday, July 25, to Friday, July 29, the following I-76 EB exit ramp will be closed between the hours of 2:00 P.M to 2:00 A.M.
- Exit #350 / Packer Avenue
State of Pennsylvania Commercial Vehicle Restrictions on I-95 I-95 commercial vehicle restrictions will be coordinated between the Pennsylvania State Police, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and local jurisdictions. Beginning at 12:00 P.M. on Saturday, July 23, until midday on Friday, July 29, commercial vehicles weighing more than five tons will be prohibited from traveling on Interstate 95 between Exit 13 (Interstate 76 West/Route 291/Valley Forge) and Exit 22 (Interstate 676) in Philadelphia, PA. In addition, the northbound and southbound entrance ramps to I-95 between Exit 13 and Exit 22 in Philadelphia will be closed to commercial vehicles over five tons. Commercial vehicles will be directed to use arterial roads to reach either I-95 north or south beyond Exit 13 or Exit 22. The following are the posted detours that drivers of vehicles over five tons will be directed to follow to return to I-95 once they exit the interstate:
From I-95 north: Route 291 (Penrose Avenue) east, to 26th Street, to Interstate 76 west, to Interstate 676 east; and From I-95 south: I-676 west, to I-76 east, to 26th Street, to Route 291(Penrose Avenue) west. The following types of commercial vehicles will be restricted from traveling on this part of I-95 during the DNC:
- Delivery trucks
- Utility vehicles
- Parcel trucks
- Small dump trucks
- Flatbed and stake trucks
- Refrigerated and box trucks
- Large delivery trucks
- Refuse trucks
- Cement mixers
- All tractor and trailer combinations including double trailers
- Motor homes
- Recreational trailers operated for personal use
All interstate highways and expressways in the Philadelphia region, including I-95, will remain open to passenger vehicles throughout the DNC. However, the I-95 exit ramps at Broad Street (Route 611/Exit 17) in south Philadelphia will be closed to ALL passenger vehicles during the DNC with the exception of vehicles accessing the Navy Yard during certain designated time frames. The closures of the Broad Street exit ramps will be as follows:
The I-95 northbound exit ramp at Broad Street (Route 611/Exit 17) will be closed from 10:00 P.M., Friday, July 22, until midday Friday, July 29. The I-95 southbound exit ramp at Broad Street (Route 611/Exit 17) will be open intermittently during convention week, but ONLY for access to the Navy Yard. The I-95 southbound exit-ramp will be closed:
- Friday, July 22, at 10:00 P.M. to Saturday, July 23, at 6:00 A.M.;
- Monday, July 25, at 2:00 P.M. to Tuesday, July 26, at 2:00 A.M.;
- Tuesday, July 26, at 2:00 P.M. to Wednesday, July 27, at 2:00 A.M.;
- Wednesday, July 27, at 2:00 P.M. to Thursday, July 28, at 2:00 A.M.; and
- Thursday, July 28, at 2:00 P.M. to midday Friday, July 29.
The following are the posted detours for motorists to follow during the closure of the I-95 exit ramps at Broad Street (Route 611/Exit 17):
From I-95 north: Route 291 (Penrose Avenue) east, to Moyamensing Avenue, to Oregon Avenue to Broad Street (Route 611); and From I-95 south: Enterprise Avenue, to Island Avenue, to Route 291 (Penrose Avenue) east, to Moyamensing Avenue, to Oregon Avenue to Broad Street (Route 611). To further help motorists and expedite the reopening of travel lanes resulting from breakdowns or incidents during the convention, PennDOT will operate its State Farm Safety Patrol tow truck service around-the-clock from Saturday, July 23, to Friday, July 29, on I-76; I-95 between Route 63 and the Delaware state line; I-476; I-676; U.S. 202 between Boot Road and I-76; and U.S. 422 between U.S. 202 and Route 29.
An interagency airspace security plan will be implemented to provide secure airspace over the Philadelphia, PA metropolitan area during the Democratic National Convention from Monday, July 25, through Thursday evening, July 28. A Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) flight advisory listing enhanced restrictions was released on June 24. The enhanced airspace restrictions can be accessed online at the Federal Aviation Administration web page at www.faa.gov. Pilot inquiries should be directed to [email protected] The NOTAM discussed in the June advisory may change with little or no notice. Pilots are advised to check NOTAMs frequently for possible changes prior to operations in the Philadelphia, PA area. Additionally, pilots are strongly encouraged to contact a Flight Service Station at 1-800-992-7433 prior to flight to check for all current NOTAMs.
No Drone Zone
Flying unmanned aircraft systems, drones and radio-control model aircraft in any of the designated restricted areas is against the law and is strictly prohibited. Unmanned aircraft systems, drones and radio-control aircraft are subject to FAA flight restrictions and are prohibited from operating anywhere within 30 Nautical Miles of downtown Philadelphia, to include FDR Park, from the morning of Monday, July 25, through the evening of Thursday, July 28. Failure to comply with FAA flight restrictions may result in civil and/or criminal penalties. To report drone flights during the Democratic National Convention, please contact authorities at 267-551-7740. Please visit www.FAA.gov for further information.
The U.S. Coast Guard will establish security zones on portions of the Delaware River, Schuylkill River and Darby Creek in Philadelphia during the DNC. These security zones will be in effect from July 25 – 28. The Coast Guard is coordinating this maritime security effort with federal, state and local agencies. During the enforcement period, unauthorized vessels or people will not be permitted to enter or move within the security zone without permission from the Captain of the Port. Boaters should monitor VHF-FM Channel 16 during this period for detailed information on waterway closures and restrictions, and allow for extra transit time. For additional questions regarding waterway restrictions during the DNC in Philadelphia, contact the Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay public affairs officer at 215-778-5843.
Online Information & Social Media
The city of Philadelphia will use several online resources for communicating useful information regarding emergencies, severe weather conditions, street closures, traffic disruptions and more.
- Visit www.phila.gov/dnc for information and updates prior to and during the 2016 Democratic National Convention (DNC) regarding city services, special events, traffic disruptions, and transit updates.
- Register for ReadyPhiladelphia to receive emergency text and email alert notifications for severe weather, local emergencies, and SEPTA updates.
- To assist those traveling to Philadelphia for the DNC, PennDOT is in the process of launching a travelers website. The website will be a useful tool that provides real-time traffic information; color-coded maps showing how traffic is flowing; and other valuable information. The site will be accessible from both desktop and mobile interfaces. Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting the PennDOT website, Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
The City of Philadelphia @PhiladelphiaGov twitter account and the U.S. Secret Service @Secret Service twitter account are the primary sources for all DNC related information including real time public safety updates during the week of the convention. Additionally, the following twitter accounts will share agency specific public safety information and you can follow the #PHLDNC hashtag for updates:
- Mayor’s Office – @PhillyMayor
- Philadelphia Police Department – @PhillyPolice
- Philadelphia Fire Department – @PhillyFireDept
- Philadelphia Office of Emergency Management – @PhilaOEM
- Philadelphia 311 – @Philly311
- Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency – @ReadyPA
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania – @GovernorTomWolf
- U.S. Secret Service – @Secret Service
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security – @DHSgov
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection – @CustomsBorder / @CBPMidAtlantic
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement – @dhs_ice
- Transportation Security Administration – @TSA
- Federal Aviation Administration – @FAANews
- Federal Bureau of Investigation – @FBIPhiladelphia
- Transportation partners:
- Amtrak – @Amtrak
- New Jersey Transit – @NJTRANSIT
- PATCO – @RidePATCO
- PennDOT – @PennDOTNews
- Philadelphia International Airport – @PHLAirport
- SEPTA – @SEPTA / @SEPTA_SOCIAL
EDITOR’S NOTE: Additions or updates to this plan may be made prior to the start of the event. For questions concerning this release, please contact the U.S. Secret Service Office of Government and Public Affairs, 202-406-5708. This press release will also be posted at the Secret Service website and on participating agency websites.