— by Challah Maidel
There are many ways to keep cool in the summer, and a refreshing salad does it for me as just well as ice cream, cold soup and swimming. This mango-avocado salad recipe was originally borrowed from “Reader’s Digest,” many issues ago. This is a good salad to enjoy now that fresh mangoes and avocado are in the market. I recreated this recipe at a family barbecue and the only complaints I received were that I didn’t make enough for everyone. At events where the meals are heavy in protein, salad is always a nice balance, and even some coniferous meat-eaters can agree with that. I recommend Serving this salad along with grilled chicken.
The ingredients of this salad, except for avocado and mango, include tomatoes, red onions and lime vinaigrette. These ingredients induce an interesting flavor of spicy, sweet and sour.
Full recipe after the jump.
Mango Avocado Salad (Yields 4 servings.)
- 1 large ripe mango peel, removed and cubed
- 2 ripe Haas avocados, cubed
- 4-5 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice (you can use lemon juice as well)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- Place all the chopped vegetables in a salad bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk lime juice, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
- Lightly toss into a salad.
- Top with chopped cilantro or parsley and serve.
Challah Maidel is a blog about healthy kosher eating.