Summer is the peak season for eggplants, and the perfect time to prepare a roasted eggplant salad. This dish is perfect for a picnic basket to enjoy on a leisurely summer day.
The quality of an eggplant can be discerned by its shell. The peel should be shiny and taut — this is how you know that it is fresh. You can estimate how many seeds an eggplant has by its weight: the heavier it is, the more seeds it has.
Roasted Eggplant Salad
- 1 eggplant
- 1 tomato, cut up
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 onion, minced
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Grill the eggplant over charcoal or in the oven.
- When it is soft and the skin scorches, remove it from the heat and peel immediately.
- Cube the eggplant.
- Mix with all the other ingredients.
- Serve with warm pita bread and fresh tahini.