I love Philadelphia! It is such an exciting and dynamic place to live and raise a family. Many young couples assume that as soon as their children reach school age, they should resign themselves to their fate and move to the suburbs. This assumption, however, is no longer valid.
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy (JBHA) is making it possible for families that reach this juncture to make a different choice. With its outstanding academics, international student body, commitment to making private school affordable for middle income families, and convenient accessibility by Philadelphia bus and public transportation, JBHA provides the best of both worlds: Center City living and a stellar college preparatory private school education infused with timeless Jewish values and learning.
- Originally founded in 1946 as Akiba Hebrew Academy, Barrack is an independent college preparatory day school for students in grades 6-12.
- Located on a 35-acre campus in Bryn Mawr, PA, Barrack provides a rigorous dual curriculum of College preparatory and Jewish studies in modern facilities to students from all Jewish backgrounds.
- The Barrack educational experience is diverse and international. Students from five continents are enrolled at JBHA, and English is often not their mother tongue.
- Students who do not have a Jewish day school background thrive at Barrack. Hebrew is taught on all levels.
- Barrack’s stellar academic program is complemented by timeless Jewish traditions and values. Commitments to repair the world and work for social justice are hallmarks of a Barrack education.
- Barrack Middle School students enjoy a warm, welcoming nurturing environment and are inspired by talented and involved teachers to develop the intellectual and emotional skills that prepare them for a seamless transition to high school and for continued success.
- Barrack 11th graders have a unique opportunity to study abroad for a trimester in Israel on the Alexander Muss Campus, strengthening their identity and forging strong ties with the land, language, people and culture.
- Barrack students earn high SAT scores, and Barrack seniors are traditionally accepted to their first choice, top-tier colleges and universities.
- Barrack offers a wide array of extracurricular programs, including award-winning art, drama and music programs; over 54 Clubs; student publications, science, robotics and engineering electives, and student government/leadership opportunities.
- Barrack fields 18 sports teams, including squash, lacrosse, tennis, baseball, basketball, softball, soccer, swimming and track and field. This year the Girls’ lacrosse, tennis and soccer teams won championships.
- Over 2, 600 Akiba-Barrack alumni play leading roles in all walks of life at home and around the world.
Affordability: Barrack is committed to middle income affordability, and has generous scholarship funds available for this purpose. The application process is welcoming and respectful.
Convenient Transportation: It is very convenient to commute from Center City Philadelphia to JBHA.
- Students may travel to Barrack via bus, provided by the school. This bus is free for middle school students, and is subsidized for high school students.
- Barrack is also easily accessible via the SEPTA rail system. Students living in Philadelphia are eligible for a voucher for public transportation from the city. A round-trip shuttle bus is provided from the Bryn Mawr train station to the school. Alternatively, it is only a 15 minute walk from the station to the school.
Starting a family does not mean that you have to give up the life you lead in the city. With the educational opportunities offered by Barrack Hebrew Academy, you can have the best of both worlds. You can continue to enjoy your exciting urban life, and your children can benefit from an outstanding, affordable private school education. My children do! For more information about JBHA, please feel free to contact Jennifer Groen, JBHA’s Director of Admission and Strategic Engagement: [email protected] or 610-922-2350. She looks forward to hearing from you!