— by David A. Harris
It’s very said that on the day after Yom Kippur, Jewish Republicans have decided to jump right back into shamefully smearing the President’s record — on the same day in which the Israeli Prime Minister praised President Obama’s leadership and cooperation with Israel in front of the United Nations. Some of the experts featured in the video come from a small segment of the right wing, and are not reflective of Israel’s broad public opinion — let alone the leaders who have heaped praise upon the President. Worse, some of the key points in the video are factually misrepresented, including statements regarding President Obama’s support for Israel’s security, the scenes of Democrats, and statements regarding the so-called snub that never happened. This video offers nothing more than the same innuendo and smears that Jewish Republicans have tried to peddle for the last four years, and their smear campaign has not worked — and will not work.”
The video features many instances of distorted — if not factually incorrect — information.
- The Israeli government has repeatedly debunked the snub myth from 2010. In fact, when NJDC issued a fact sheet authorized by the Israeli embassy debunking the myth, the Republican Jewish Coalition called the embassy-approved statements “BS.”
- The Anti-Defamation League’s Abraham Foxman, who is quoted in the video, has criticized prior instances of his quotes being cherry-picked for the sole purpose of making Israel a political football.
- At 3:41, right wing pundit Barry Rubin contradicts statements by Israeli leaders who have effusively praised the President’s security cooperation with Israel, including Defense Minister Ehud Barak who said, “I should tell you honestly that this Administration under President Obama is doing in regard to our security more than anything that I can remember in the past.”
- The Democratic legislators featured in the video have all praised the President’s leadership when it comes to Israel and Iran — and are supporting his reelection.
- The video repeats the right wing’s baseless attack on this Administration for upholding the same position on Jerusalem as his predecessors.