Scholarship donors (and Golden Slipper members) (L) Naomi Gorson and (R) Mac Gorson present a scholarship certificate to recipient (C) Max Cohen.
The Golden Slipper Club of Philadelphia‘s tradition of awarding scholarship money to area students continued in 2012. The philanthropic organization held its “Slipper Scholarship Awards” reception on May 2 at the Bala Golf Club in Philadelphia. Fifteen students were awarded a total of $40,000 in scholarships to help pay for their 2012-2013 college education.
Scholarships are based on several criteria including financial need, academic achievement, community work completed by students, etc. Students are required to write an essay as part of their application. A committee interviews students who qualify and makes final award selections.
More including list of recipients after the jump.
This year’s awardees (and their sponsors)
Front row (left-to-right)
- Marissa Silverman of Langhorne, PA (Joel Press, Press Management, LLC)
- Kelley Riley of Camden, NJ (Golden Slipper Club & Charities),
- Samantha Pipe of Levittown, PA (Norman & Marlene Zarwin),
- Zoe Kress of Mount Laurel, NJ (Lundy Memorial Scholarship)
- McKenna Gibson of Bensalem, PA (Leon L. Levy),
- Tamara Hass of Elkins Park, PA (Samuel Resnick Memorial Scholarship),
Back row (left-to-right)
- Benjamin Lasner of Newtown, PA (Isdaner Family Memorial Scholarship),
- Brett Cylinder of Lafayette Hill, PA (Audrey Isdaner),
- Cole Oldfield of Haverford, PA (Isdaner Family Memorial Scholarship),
- Jordan Harris of Yardley, PA (Norman & Marlene Zarwin),
- Timothy Yannaccone of Perkasie, PA (Leon L. Levy).
- Corey Prince of West Chester, PA (Lois Schwartz),
- Aaron Mazer of Wynnewood, PA (Ken & Nanci Gilberg),
- Max Cohen, Cherry Hill, NJ (Maxwell & Naomi Gorson),
Not shown and unable to attend: Alec Roth of Cherry Hill, NJ (Golden Slipper Club & Charities),
Scholarship committee co-chairs (L) Megan Gilberg and (R) Lisa Bledy with (C) scholarship recipient Jordan Harris.
This year’s scholarship committee members include chairs Lisa Bledy and Megan Gilberg, plus Frank Brodsky, Janet Cantor, Jay Cohen, Michael Finkelstein, Howard Friedman, Ken Gilberg, Michael Goldfinger, Maxwell Gorson, Mark Greene, Audrey Isdaner, Michael Lefkowitz, David Levy, Julie Lukoff, Gary Moskowitz, Eleanor Powers, Gay Seidman, Herb Weinstein and Norman Zarwin. They were assisted by events coordinator, Ann Hilferty and executive director, Paul Geller. Stephen H. Frishberg is club president.
Golden Slipper Club & Charities, celebrating 90 years in 2012, has taken a hands-on approach to support programs and services for the Greater Philadelphia area’s youth, needy and elderly, with some 600 active men and women who volunteer their time to serve people in need. Golden Slipper’s motto is charity, good fellowship and loyalty, first and foremost, in all its endeavors. It provides charitable services to those in need in the community. Golden Slipper Camp sends approximately 600 children to overnight camp in the beautiful Pocono Mountains. Golden Slipper Center for Seniors provides a daytime activities facility which offers social and recreational activities and meals for over 300 senior citizens. Other programs offered to help the community include HUNAS (Human Needs and Services) which gives emergency grants to those in need and the Slipper Scholarship Program, which provides college scholarships to deserving and promising young students.